About Me

My photo
Hi my name is Carla. I run my own business as a beauty therapist & hairdresser. I started my blog to keep memories of my third pregnancy. Now I'm addicted to blogging and I'm even considering starting a Vlog. You can read all about my pregnancy and follow my journey with my new born.

Monday 10 November 2014

You're making a rod for your own back

OSo today is Monday 10th November and I have decided to try and get Reuben into a better sleep pattern. I believe because I have breast fed him he has gotten used to falling asleep on me whilst feeding. Whilst this is an easy way for me getting him to sleep on a night it is a problem.through the day as he wants me to rock him and hold him to go for his nap and if he wakes up through the night he cannot soothe himself back to sleep.

I'm am trying the get your baby to sleep in 7 days : http://www.parents.com/baby/sleep/issues/teach-baby-to-sleep-in-7-days/

I am using the 1-10 scale for sleepiness. 1 being wide awake 10 being fast asleep. The aim is to put him in his bed between 7/8 on the scale so he is just tired enough but still awake to soothe himself.

So tonight is the start of our new routine.

6pm -bath time. He was quite giddy as he is now in the big bath and can splash about. This could be a good thing for burning off any last bits of energy.
Sleepy rating: 2

6:20pm drying and getting dressed for bed.
Sleep rating:3 getting hungry and crying a bit.

6.30-7pm - feeding. He had just a few minutes breast milk and 4oz of formula. I have also introduced a number 2 test for his bottles today as he was sucking g so hard and making lots of noise. This seemed better there wasn't much noise and he seemed happier with the flow. Stopping at times and then starting again. During the feed I read him a story.

Sleepy rating: at the start 3-4 by the end of the bottle he was 7-8

7pm- laid him in his cot. He wasn't impressed. So put on his night light stars that shine onto the ceiling and white noise. He is staring at the stars.
I sat on the bed where he can't see me for 10 minutes then leave the room. 
I have the tommee tippee baby monitor with camera on.

7:20- he is still awake and starts to whimper then starts to cry. One of the older children opens the door and starts to talk to him. Grrr. Should have explained before what I was doing.
I go in and pick him up and give him 1oz left in his bottle. (Probably shouldn't have done that.) Put him back down at 7:25 and leave the room.

7:30- he starts whimpering  and genlty crying. Not gone in this time. He stopped after two minutes.

8:15- Reuben started crying. (My iPad got a message and woke him up) went and put it on aeroplane mode!
Stopped crying after one minute.
Started again a minute later and stopped again within a minute. Just a little whimper though.

8:30- Reuben cried for 5 minutes. I went upto him and he was upset. Picked him up and breast fed for 5 minutes and put him in his crib and he cried again. I needed to cuddle him. He fell asleep in my arms by 8:50. Think that's a failure for tonight. :-(

9pm: put him back in the crib
9:20 - starts crying again really loud. I need to hold him I don't like him being sad. He stops as soon as I do. He falls asleep next to me on my bed. I put him in his crib at ten and go to bed.

3:45: Reuben woke for his first night feed

I know I gave up on the first night but I've never had him cry like that before and I don't like it.

Then I realised he is a baby of course he wants me and feels safe when I cuddle him.

I am not going to listen to all these people with their good advice because seriously how many grown adults do you know who are still breastfeeding and rocked to sleep by their mummys. None. He will be fine he is a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment